HiddenThings
Monday, May 23, 2005
 
Exception to the rule: Exodus 19:2-8a; Romans 5:6-11; Matthew 9:35-10:8(9-15)
(Please Note: Considering that there are only two and sometimes 4 people who visit this blog, two of us decided to detour this week to help Scott prepare a sermon in a couple of weeks. These readings below and that we will reflect on this week are included in the liturgical cycle. We figured that even though our stated purpose is to reflect on scripture outside of liturgy, no one would really notice if we detoured for this. If you are outraged or even amused please direct all comments to email address listed in profile. Now on to the readings...)

Exodus 19:2-8a
The Israelites had journeyed from Rephidim, entered the wilderness of Sinai, and camped in the wilderness; Israel camped there in front of the mountain. Then Moses went up to God; the LORD called to him from the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the Israelites: You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples. Indeed, the whole earth is mine, but you shall be for me a priestly kingdom and a holy nation. These are the words that you shall speak to the Israelites."
So Moses came, summoned the elders of the people, and set before them all these words that the LORD had commanded him. The people all answered as one: "Everything that the LORD has spoken we will do."


Romans 5:6-11
While we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. Indeed, rarely will anyone die for a righteous person-- though perhaps for a good person someone might actually dare to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us. Much more surely then, now that we have been justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life. But more than that, we even boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.


Matthew 9:35-10:8(9-15)
Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and curing every disease and every sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."
Then Jesus summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to cure every disease and every sickness. These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon, also known as Peter, and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; Simon the Cananaean, and Judas Iscariot, the one who betrayed him.
These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you go, proclaim the good news, `The kingdom of heaven has come near.' Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. You received without payment; give without payment. [Take no gold, or silver, or copper in your belts, no bag for your journey, or two tunics, or sandals, or a staff; for laborers deserve their food. Whatever town or village you enter, find out who in it is worthy, and stay there until you leave. As you enter the house, greet it. If the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town. Truly I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town."]

Comments:
De slacked (Elizabeth called me a slacker for not having it ready for monday morning.)

The OT reading spoke the most to me this morning. This is not all that surprising as I really like the OT especially Exodus. As background I will be preaching June 12th, the day before my family and I will be going to Honduras on mission. The parish (St. Benedict's) will also be recognizing those whom have graduated. The theme it appears is setting out and I am pleased that the readings work so well for that theme.

In exodus the people have been brought by God to himself and have just witnessed God's grace as the encouragement to travel deeper into the wilderness. Romans recognized too the amazement of One dying for sinners as testiment not to persons goodness. In fact it is quite the opposite. He died for those who could give nothing and that is what is so incredible about this reconciliation. God poured out his love in spite of us.

Interestingly the Gospel aligns with the OT. The disciples have been reconciled with Christ. They have been accepted. God came to them. Now as they brought nothing to the equation (like Romans) they are to serve and receive nothing for it.
 
I spent a good bit of time in Honduras about 3 years ago, in the town of Proteccion in the Dept of Santa Barbara as part of a 4 month study tour throughout Central America. Make sure you pick coffee while you're there; it's very relaxing the first time you do it (though you won't be as productive as you'd like).
Started writing my actual post, but you'll get it at lunch break; have to start working.
 
I was really struck by "harassed and helpless" in the Matthew reading. I checked a couple of other versions; King James had "they fainted and were scattered abroad," and New Jerusalem has "harassed and dejected." After a year of Biblical language study (not Greek though) I'm not surprised by the variety in interpretation, but it does say something about the power of language; I do not think that section would have leapt out at me as much had I read those other versions on the blog. The alliterative hs struck me, as well as "helpless"; it would be interesting to study the Greek to see how the translator came up with that interpretation, because I find it powerful: that we are helpless without Jesus, even though I (I first wrote we, but suppose I should only speak for myself) expend energy attempting to show how capable I am...and when I am not relying on God, I do end up "harassed"; busy, scattered.
 
"shake off the dust from your feet..."
Yesterday I received an e-mail from a close friend and colleague from my year in Cincinnati, who recently left his position as Youth Minister at the church were we both worked after a conflict surrounding something inappropriate that was said to one of the youth.
While I'm certain my friend was not blameless in this incident, the church where we worked has had a history of being unforgiving about the flaws of it's leaders and it's congregants; they complain about the program that they host for the neighborhood because the kids are "too rowdy" when they make a little noise. Even in a role as simple as craft coordinator for Vacation Bible School, I was mandated to completely revamp the craft schedule because the ones that I had planned simply weren't up to the standards parents expected their children to take home. I'm not surprised that this happened, because it's happened before with the previous youth minister. It's one of those dysfunctional patterns that arise in congregations that simply is never addressed.
However, my friend has since become dejected enough about "the standards" he assumes all churches expect of their ministers that he's abandoned his sense of call. He's said that he no longer wants to do ministry if it means the constant "fishbowl" effect. And he does have a point; at times, the scrutiny can be difficult. Yet I have no doubt that my friend is called to parish ministry; I have seen the overpowering joy he experiences when he helps people change lives. I have experienced through our friendship his gift for pastoral care through what was my darkest hour. I hate to see what is clearly a call from God potentially disintegrate because of one serious conflict.
Now, I do have faith that he will heal and learn and realize that he's still called to pastoral ministry. But I grieve to know that our church has potentially lost someone who could serve them strongly because of one church's infighting.
I think, in some manner, that's what Matthew is talking about; when discouraged, instead of giving up on the call of the Lord, the disciples are told to simply leave, dust themselves off, and move on to the next house, with the knowledge that faith will prevail.
 
So often people talk about the Old Testament being too much about "the wrath of God," a phrase that jumped out at me today in the Romans reading. And yet, in this Old Testament selection, God is making a covenant with the Israelites, and they agree to it...shouldn't there be consequences for them not adhering to this agreement to obey his voice and keep his covenant? Is the wrath of God an unreasonable thing?
 
Romans is so devestatingly beautiful. "While you were still enemies... we were reconciled"

My sense this morning is that Romans speaks of the experience of reconciliation. The utter amazement of salvation. The fact that we are acted upon by God who so loves us that he seeks us out through Jesus Christ in our rejection.

Both Exodus and Matthew are the responses to that graciousness. They are the response to salvation. Upon being on eagle's wings you are to go out and be "God's people".

A question from Matthew leaves me wondering why the disciples are only to go the lost sheep of Israel. Why not the Gentiles or Samaritans? What is humbling is that they were to seek out the lost. God's kingdom is revealed among those who might be willing to take hold of it.
 
The covenant the Egyptians agree to makes me think of the ordination vows some of us will be making in two years. The covenant in Scripture directs the people to obey his voice and keep his commandment, and be a priestly kingdom and holy nation. That scandal of the particular thing; Israel was to be the chosen nation from whom God would relate to the whole world.

We will be agreeing to do our best to pattern our lives and that of our family in accordance with the teachings of Christ, so that we may be a wholesome example to all people. That seems kind of scandalous too...why do we need priests? And why on earth should I be one and take these extraodrinary vows? Crazy.
 
It's interesting to read the "go nowhere among the Gentiles," because of course later Jesus does extend his ministry to the Gentiles, especially after meeting the Syro-Phoenician/Canaanite woman. Seems narrow-minded here, but the metaphor of the sheepis continued, and shows that the mission at first went to those with whom GOd had made the covenant as per the Exodus readings.

Scott, you slacker, where's your post?
 
The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few...seems a call to all to ministry, not just ordained. It also seems hopeful...and is it true today, in our increasingly secular and pluralistic society, that the harvest is plentiful?
 
The message for the sermon seems to be increasingly around the theme of being sent. Why are we sent? The sense I received this moring is that we are sent so that God may deliver us and others. There is a definited connection between the role of the Israelites as a "Priestly" race and the disciples setting out to work the "harvest". Being sent is an opportunity. It is the opportunity to embrace God who not only sends us but prepares a place to receive us.

I had a wonderful revelation yesterday. It comes with a cost because I have spent the last two months in difficulty. (Was that difficulty self induced or my reaction not wanting to let go? I'm not sure)

I was able to see for the first time a connection between a spiritual experience at 16, my experiences in AA, and a recent experience upon returning to St. Benedict's to give a homily. Each were identical. I was able to see that each was the Holy Spirit. At 16 God chose to communicate with me (and I think I'm not the exception but part of the rule. The experience not only removed some ways of thinking that were harmful but set me on a journey of discovery. I was delivered and I have been sent.

I was able to see and to recognize the hand of God leading me and the experience is always of homecoming. It is one of awe and amazment and for me incredulty, that of creature not worse just less.

I think I might develop the sermon around these experiences and try to have the congregation pin point where they too have experienced God and the resultant which sends us out.
 
looking forward to your sermon, Scott





Gisela
St. Benedict's (6 pm)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger